With excitement and gratitude, the Personnel Committee and Faith Formation Team invite the FBC family to join them in welcoming Kelly Magee-Prichard as our new Minister for Children and Families.
Kelly and her family (husband, Chuck, and son, Angus) began worshiping with us in the fall of 2017 and immediately sensed the spirit of God at work (Kelly was initially drawn to FBCDC because of our Statement of Inclusion, adopted last September.) They joined First Baptist on January 28, 2018.
Kelly holds a Doctor of Management degree in Organizational Leadership (University of Phoenix, 2009); a M. A. in Mass Communication (Northeast Louisiana University, 1996); and a B. A. in Journalism (Louisiana Tech, 1990).
Kelly’s greatest passion is nurturing children, encouraging their families, and directing, coordinating and training volunteers who serve infants, preschoolers and children. The daughter of a Baptist pastor, she began leading children as a teenage counselor at Acadian Baptist Center in Louisiana. Most recently Kelly taught children at International Baptist Church in Stuttgart-Vaihingen (Germany).
- August 2017: FBC began soliciting resumés for this part-time position
- December 2017: Kelly Magee-Prichard was identified by the personnel committee as the top candidate
- January 2018: Kelly met with Pastors Julie & Charlie; with members of personnel committee; and with parents and teachers of FBC children
- February 1-15, 2018: Kelly completed Federal & District background checks
- February 18, 2018: Kelly met with Moderator Rod Coates and Pastor Julie to sign covenant letter
- March 1, 2018: Official start date
As Minister for Children and Families Kelly will work under direct supervision of the Pastor. Her responsibilities will include three focal areas:
1. Spiritual Leadership
- Serve as a growing Christian leader among parents and children (grade six and under)
- Provide spiritual and pastoral guidance/care
- Plan overall curriculum, activities and events to nurture growth in preschoolers and children, and to prepare older children for transition into the youth ministry
- Work in collaboration with lay teams and staff to ensure a holistic ministry to children and families
- Work with the CDC Director and CDC team to help our church to serve our CDC families
- Provide leadership and support to our children’s teachers and others who serve our children; encourage a “team” effort
2. Cultivation of a welcoming, safe and healthy environment for children and families
- As needed, enlist and train children’s ministry leaders/teachers for Sunday School and extended care for preschoolers during worship
- Promote and maintain high safety standards for our children’s ministry
- Extend hospitality to guests with children
- Provide regular communication to parents and friends of FBC Children’s ministry through church-wide publications and children’s ministry channels
- Perform other children’s ministry duties as assigned by the Pastor
We will welcome Kelly to the FBC staff at the upcoming church-wide potluck on March 4 (also Winter Forum Sunday). In the meantime, please pray for Kelly, her family, and all the children and families at First Baptist Church.
The Personnel Committee and Faith Formation Team: Denny Austin, Becky Ellison, Dennis Lambert, Allen Norfleet, Lucy Plovnick & Charlotte Straight