Music at First Baptist
Since opening its sanctuary at 16th and O Streets N.W. in 1955, First Baptist has made a tradition of welcoming neighbors and visitors to share the blessings of music.
The first Christmas in the neo-Gothic sanctuary featured a concert by First Baptist choirs and guest choirs from the District and began the annual tradition of the candlelight carols, in which choirs and audience join in joyful song.
First Baptist’s musical offerings took a step up with the addition of a Steinway concert grand piano and a custom-made organ with more than 6,000 pipes and trumpets. Guest artists regularly perform concerts, including a special Halloween program, that are free as a gift to the community.