Our Mission, Vision, and Values
The Mission, Vision, and Values
Organized in 1802 as "a spiritual home for Baptists moving to the new federal city," The First Baptist Church of the City of Washington, D.C., has been welcoming believers from across the country and around the world ever since. While we maintain a steadfast commitment to the historic Baptist principles of individual freedom, congregational autonomy, and religious liberty, our tradition of hospitality has brought us members from a variety of Christian denominations, and resulted in an increasingly ecumenical perspective. In addition, the diversity of the city of Washington is reflected in our congregation: we come from different places, different cultures, and different traditions. The only thing that holds us all together- indeed, the only thing that can- is our shared commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord. It is in joyful obedience to Christ that we affirm:
Our Mission is to love and worship God, to love and serve others, and to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
Our Vision is to be a church in which every member is engaged in ministry that impacts the neighborhood, the city, the nation, and the world.
Our Values are:
- The compassion of Christ, which moves us to feel with others in their joy or sorrow and to act on their behalf.
- The diversity of our congregation as it represents God’s wholeness.
- The hospitality of the church, as we welcome all people in the name of Jesus, and welcome as members all who call Him Lord.
- The pilgrimage of Christian formation, as we seek to follow the way of Jesus and teach others to walk in that way.
- The beauty, reverence, and excellence of the worship we offer to God and the place in which we do it.
—Adopted by the Congregation on January 6, 2008
CHURCH SCHOOL 9:30 AM - 10:45 AM
SUNDAY SERVICE 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Valet parking is available at the "O" Street entrance to the Education Building and at the garage ramp.
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
this week in worship
December 21, 2014
"How Can This Be?"
Text: Luke 1:26-38
Rev. Dr. Stan Hastey
II Samuel 7:1-11
Dr. Lawrence P. SchreiberOrganist-Choirmaster
PRELUDE:"Noel pour l'amour de Marie"
"I Sing the Birth"Stephen Chatman - Text: Ben JonsonThe Chancel Choir
"Le petit mouveau ne'"
Jean Francois Dandrieu
"In Dulei Jubilo"
J. S. Bach